Bedford Boat Club is a private club with some 30 moorings.
Membership is by application, interview and election.
We are located on the ‘River Great Ouse’ between Cardington lock and ‘Priory marina’
and in 2010 we celebrated our 60th anniversary.
We hold several events during the year, some of which we welcome visitors to.
We conduct our own maintenance and find this helps with the socializing of our membership,
we are a friendly group but we do have rules and expect involvement from our members.
Our members cover a wide age group from junior to retired and all look forward to
many more years as a boat club.
A (very) brief history
Formed in April 1950, the Club now occupies its’ fourth site, but only the third
with moorings! Originally having “premises” at Hillgrounds in Kempston, the first
mooring was at Batts Ford in 1953, transferring to a site between Cardington and
the Barns hotel in 1958. Moving to part of the present site in early 1966, extending
this later that year by exchanging part of the present site for that at Cardington.
Electricity arrived at the moorings in 1969, by means of the Club’s own generator!
The Club was instrumental in the various projects involved in opening the upper reaches
of the river to the rest of the system in the mid 1970's, along with the Great Ouse
In part because of being “land locked,” in those early days there were no cruisers,
but rowing boats and the like and the type and size of boat has changed over the
years to the modern (and some not so modern) cruisers we see now.
The present site is the only one to have a club house and before that various pubs
and hotels were used for all kinds of meetings and functions.
From those early beginnings, various social events have always been enjoyed by Members
complementing their boating trips and this continues to the present day.